Historical Happenings in and around Piqua during the month of February.
Feb 01-The new Piqua City Bus Service began in 1930, replacing the electric street railway system.
Feb 02-United States Army Lt. Jimmy Doolittle (of World War II fame) spoke to the Piqua Rotary Club in 1926, about the future of military aviation.
Feb 03-A regular meeting of the [Ladies] Amusement Club was held on this date in 1893.
Feb 04-In 1952, the Ohio State Highway Patrol Post 55 moved its headquarters from Troy to Piqua.
Feb 05-The flood of 1883 resulted when the Great Miami River overflowed its bank and damaged over two hundred homes.
Feb 06-The Piqua Home Telephone Company was organized in 1899.
Feb 07-In 1934, Charles L. Hinsch was elected president of the Piqua Golf Club, replacing Harry Bell.
Feb 08-The Piqua Mandolin Club announced its first rehearsal on this date in 1897.
Feb 09-The Odd Fellows Mutual Aid Association (Life and Accident Insurance) formed in 1882 in Piqua.
Feb 10-In 1836, Benjamin B. Beal became one of the first local citizens to lease water rights on the new Miami Extension Canal. Beal built a flour mill at Lock Nine.
Feb 11-A private company known as the Piqua Bridge Company was incorporated in 1846 to construct a new bridge between Piqua and Huntersville.
Feb 12-A new fraternal group was organized in 1903, known as the Piqua Aerie 614, Fraternal Order of Eagles.
Feb 13-The city's first professional vaudeville performance was held in 1906 at the May's Opera House.
Feb 14-The new brick Central Fire Station on East Water Street was opened in 1905.
Feb 15-The Piqua City Council approved the formal abandonment of the Miami & Erie Canal through portions of the city.
Feb 16-It was formally announce in 1905, that former Piquad Dr. Arthur N. Davis had been appointed dentist to the German Emperor William II.
Feb 17-The Grand Opening of the city's largest entertainment place, May's Opera House, was held in 1903.
Feb 18-The Piqua Health Department reported on this date in 1914 that ten homes had been quarantined due to Scarlet Fever.
Feb 19-In 1835, the Methodist Episcopal Church was incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio.
Feb 20-The newly remodeled Spring Street School, located on the corner of Spring and Ash Streets, held an open house in 1939.
Feb 21-On a cold day in 1901, the Piqua Artificial Ice and Cold Storage Company was incorporated. This ended commercial ice harvesting in Piqua's ponds.
Feb 22-The city's first iron bridge was opened in 1877 over the Great Miami River off of Bridge Street.
Feb 23-The Columbus, Piqua, and Indiana Railroad was formally chartered in 1849 to serve as the city's first railroad connection.
Feb 24-The Presbyterian Church of Piqua was formally incorporated in 1834.
Feb 25-The State of Ohio, in 1846, authorized the laying out of the Dayton, Charleston & Piqua Turnpike.
Feb 26-In 1838, a meeting in Piqua was held to discuss the issue, "Ought Slavery...Be Immediately Abolished!"
Feb 27-The Piqua Temperance Society called for their 1838 annual meeting to be held at "early candlelight".
Feb 28-The school superintendent reported that nearly two-thirds of all local students had joined the Junior Red Cross during the 1939 membership drive.
Feb 29-In 1904, the Piqua Humane Society was organized.