Historical Happenings in and around Piqua during the month of August.

August 01, 1887-The Third National Bank opened to the public in the newly erected Queen Anne style building at 319 N. Main Street.
August 02, 1894-The first issue of the German language newspaper, Die Miami Post hit the streets.
August 03, 1793-The signing of the Treaty of Greenville ended the major Indian wars in Ohio.
August 04, 1846-The Piqua Division No. 19 of the Sons of Temperance of Ohio was incorporated.
August 05, 1934-The Young Negro Voter's League [of Miami County] met at the Cyrene A.M.E. Church to pledge their support for Ohio Republican Gubernatorial Candidate, Daniel E. Morgan.
August 06, 1874-The first issue of the temperance newspaper the Miami Helmet hit the streets.
August 07, 1908-Local automobile owners came together and organized the Piqua Automobile Club.  In 1908, it is estimated that there were fewer than twenty automobiles in Piqua.
August 08, 1946-The Piqua Sesquicentennial Celebration ended on this day.  The celebration was organized by the Chamber of Commerce to combat the economic doldrums of the postwar economy.
August 09, 1905-Former Piquad Charles H. Genslinger was elected to the Western Committee of the Fourth International Olympic Games.
August 10, 1923-Piqua held a memorial service following the death of Ohio President Warren G. Harding.
August 11, 1904-The local newspapers reported that Piqua could now claim four "electric carriages" [automobiles] in the city.
August 12, 1952-Irene Ditmer was appointed as the new Executive Secretary of the local Community Chest.
August 13, 1812-The militia company organized by Captain George Buchanan was formally disbanded.
August 14, 1903-The City Council passed an ordinance establishing free public band concerts on the square.
August 15, 1829-An advertisement was published for the return of runaway apprentice Jesse Claig. A reward of one cent and a chew of tobacco was offered for his return.
August 16, 1912-Piqua's first Chautauqua Festival was held at Fountain Park.
August 17, 1812-The Council of Piqua was held on the farm of Indian Agent Colonel John Johnston.  The Council resulted in the neutrality of thousands of Native Americans in the Ohio-Indiana area during the War of 1812.
August 18, 1829-The theatrical production of "Fortune's Frolic" was presented by the Thespian Association of Piqua.  The tickets were priced at 12 1/2 cents each.
August 19, 1837-A new stage line from Piqua to St. Mary's was first advertised in the local newspaper.
August 20, 1934-Emmet Myers won the 1934 City Singles Tennis Tournament at the A. Acton Hall Sr. Municipal Court.
August 21, 1837-The first issue of the city's first German language newspaper, the Evangelfsche Relfgfoese Zeitschrift hit the streets.  It was published by the Rev. Lebright L. Hinsch.
August 22, 1887-Mrs. A. R. Thompson opened one of the city's earliest private Kindergarten schools.
August 23, 1862-The 94th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment was mustered into federal service at Camp Piqua.
August 24, 1887-It was reported that bicycle riders had begun to carry whistles to warn others of their approach.
August 25, 1904-The United Spanish-American War Veterans changed the name of their local camp [lodge] from the Henry W. Lawton Camp to the Edgar F. Wallace Camp.
August 26, 1828-A traveling caravan of live animals visited Piqua.  The caravan included lions, a zebra and an African leopard.
August 27, 1885--The newly remodeled Post Office at the Opera House [Main Street at Public Square] opened a new ladies General Delivery window.  Miss Hallie Miller was in charge of the window.
August 28, 1884-The Piqua Base Ball Club, Inc. disbanded after only one season.
August 29, 1812-General William Henry Harrison [future U.S. President] established his first headquarters at Camp Washington at the farm of Indian Agent Colonel John Johnston.
August 30, 1811-The Salem Baptist Church (later the First Baptist) was established.
August 31, 1886-Earthquake shock were felt in Piqua at 9:20 pm.